Are you a Windows 10 user? Are you someone who finds it extremely annoying when the internet speed is just so slow and completing all of your work seems like lifting a mountain? In such situations, finishing up your work can feel like a task. A high–performance internet connection is vital for your productivity. It is directly proportional to your productivity in this era of digitalization when almost all of your work is done online. However, getting the fastest internet connection doesn’t guarantee you a high-performance network for various reasons. One can increase Internet Speed on Windows 10 using various methods.
Why Slow Network Issues Occur
Windows 10 is an advanced version of windows compared to other windows. Still, it uses more internet because, in windows 10, there are many services used, and the internet connection is required to keep all the data up to date in the background. Slow internet connection can be rectified to Increase Internet Speed on Windows 10.
Here are a few ways by which you can increase the internet speed on your windows 10 easily.
How to Increase Internet Speed On Windows 10?
Closing the apps that use too much bandwidth
Certain apps use your internet connection to download, update, sync, and use files. To improve your internet speed, you should always disable or offload such acts to increase your internet speed on Windows 10.
- Open the Settings.
- Select network and internet
- Choose data usage from the left sidebar.
- Select usage per app on the right side of the windowpane.
- You will see a list of the apps in the amount of data that they use respectively. Choose the app that uses unnecessary data and offload or disable it.
Changing the bandwidth limit
You can always add a limit to your bandwidth in order to stop the apps are using way too much of it.
- Open the settings.
- Click update and security.
- Select advanced options from the centre of the window pane.
- Scroll down to find the delivery optimization option and click on that.
- Choose advanced options at the bottom of the windowpane.
- You will see a slider for download settings as well as upload settings.
- Here you can choose the limit for your Bandwidth that Windows can use for various tasks.
Disabling the metered connection
- Go to settings.
- Select network and internet options.
- Under the network status, click on the properties option. For the connection that you are using currently.
- After you reach the properties tap, scroll down a little to find the metered connection bar.
- Check to see if it’s turned off and if it’s not then turn it off.
Turning off the background applications
This is the most common reason Why a lot of people face slow internet connectivity. When a lot of your apps are running in the background, a huge part of your internet goes into running them and that’s the reason you face slow download and upload speed in Windows 10.
You can always disable such applications.
- Launch the settings.
- Select the privacy option.
- Scroll down in the left sidebar and select the Background apps option.
- Move to the right side of the windowpane, select let the apps run in the background option, and turn it off.
You can always select individual apps and disable them from running in the background.
Deleting the history, temporary files, or cached files:
There is almost a gamut of cookies, history, temporary or cached files on every PC and they end up taking a lot of your space. That is why it’s best to delete such files in order to increase internet speed on Windows 10.
- Select the run option. You can also press the Windows + R keys for a shortcut.
- Type %temp% in the Run box and press enter.
- Select the files in the temporary folder.
- Right-click and press delete.
- Go to your recycle bin, right-click and choose an empty recycle bin.
Using a download manager program
You can always use a download manager program in place of your default tool to download files. It’s up to you if you want to choose a standalone manager or the inbuilt one. Download manager program is a software tool that manages the downloading of your files from the internet and Increase Internet Speed on Windows 10. It helps to prioritize your downloads, helps in pausing and resuming downloads, and even helps in auto-checking of viruses on your PC.
Switch to Google Public DNS
Now, this tip might not work for all because it depends on you’re the DNS server you are using. However, if the server that you are using is quite near to you then this might not help you but it’s located a little far away then switching to Google Public DNS might increase internet speed on Windows 10.
- Open the control panel, by typing control in the Run option and hit enter.
- Select Network and Internet option.
- Click on Network and Sharing Centre.
- Select Change Adapter setting.
- You will see the Network connections there.
- If you’re using Ethernet, then it’ll be active but if you’re using WiFi then it’ll be active. Right click on the Network in use and select properties.
- Double click on the ‘Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4).’
- Make sure you tick ‘use the following DNS server addresses and enter the DNS server you wish to use, that is the Google Public DNS.
- Click OK to save the settings and now your DNS settings have been switched to the Google Public DNS.
Disable Windows Update Service
It’s often advised to disable your windows automatic updating services because it keeps updating the Windows installation as soon as the new update drop. And this in turn often decreases your internet speed. In order to increase internet speed on Windows 10:
- Type services in the taskbar search and click on it.
- Find the Windows update option from the list and click on ‘stop the service’ from the left side of the windowpane. Now double click on windows update and open its properties.
- Now, its properties will open. Under the General category, roll down the ‘select type’ option and select ‘Disabled’ and click OK.
- Restart the PC.
Uninstall the OneNote App on your PC
If the OneNote app is useful for you then you can surely skip this tip. However, if it’s not worth your PC’s space and your time then you can uninstall this app because it uses your PC’s internet bandwidth to some extent in order to sync files.
- Type OneNote in the search box.
- Now when you see the OneNote app, right click on it and select Uninstall option.
Using a different web browser
Some browsers do not support the downloading or uploading of files fast enough, if that’s the case for you then you can try and download files from a different browser on your Windows 10.
Getting rid of all the viruses and malware from your PC
Another common reason why most users face slow internet connectivity is the presence of viruses and malware on their PCs. Viruses can often do with using your internet speed and that is why the best option is to get rid of them. Install a great and effective antivirus program on your PC and check if the problem has been resolved or not. A lot of antivirus software are available today in the market. One can choose from Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, Avira and Avast, depending upon the need and budget of the user.
Changing your WiFi password
We know it can be a little hard to swallow in, but it can be true in some cases that someone has known your Wi-Fi password and is using your connection to download and upload files on their devices. Now, however unreal it might sound this can be the case with you. And that’s why we recommend you change your Wi-Fi password once and for all to increase the internet speed on your Windows 10.
Upgrading your Internet plan
Now if you have tried and tested all of the above ways and you still have low connectivity then the last option to resort to is upgrading your internet plan. You should get yourself a plan which is fast enough to maximize your work productivity and increase your internet speed on Windows 10.
Ways to increase the internet speed using CMD:
We can also Increase Internet Speed Using CMD, by following one of these easy methods:
We use the network shell (netsh) command in CMD in order to help modify the network configuration.
- Type in your windows the search box CMD, right-click on it, and select the Run as administrator option.
- Now type netsh int tcp show global and enter.
- Type Netsh int tcp set global dca=enabled and hit enter.
- Now type, netsh int tcp set Global autotuninglevel= enabled and hit enter.
- Now again type, netsh int tcp set global netdma = enabled and hit enter.
- After that, type netsh Interface tcp show heuristics and hit enter
- Now again type, netsh interface tcp set heuristics disabled and hit enter.
- After that, type exit and press enter.
Now, this command lineup is complete and it’s one of the ways how you can increase internet speed using CMD.
Another way with the help of which you can increase your internet speed using CMD is renewing the IP address:
- Open Run. Type CMD and hit enter to open the command prompter.
- Now type the command ipconfig /release and hit enter. You would see a lot of text appearing here.
- Type ipconfig /renew and hit enter.
- This will reset your computer’s IP address which might increase internet speed on your Windows 10.
In this rapid world, we all crave swiftness. Our life has become fast-paced, and now is the time for our internet connection and windows to act the same way. Try out these easy steps to Increase Internet Speed on Windows 10 and never be stuck again due to slow internet speed.